As conscious parents, we believe you know the importance of swimming lessons for children. Do you ever hear about the survival swimming technique? There are lots of videos on YouTube that shows an infant in water cutely floating and splashing water without drowning.
After watching those cute videos, many parents look for similar floating arrangements for their lovely babies. So, the question is, how do these babies do that even when they hardly learn to sit at all?
These babies learn survival swimming techniques. Well, this is a kind of swimming lesson slightly different from a traditional swimming lesson. The main aim of survival swimming lessons is to protect life from drowning.
Though it is an excellent life-saving skill, there is some controversy too. To learn more about it, you should read the whole article.
After reading this article, you will able to make the right decision about whether you prefer survival training for your babies or not.
What is Survival Swimming Technique?
Survival swimming techniques are some effective drowning prevention techniques that enable an individual to save himself at the time of danger.
The methods assist you in taking long breathe and floating as long as anyone come to rescue. With this swimming technique, one can prevent drowning in case of accidental falling in the water.
These techniques are vital for children. Even older children and adults also need to learn survival swimming tricks.
Importance of Survival Swimming Lessons
According to the American Disaster Control Center, drowning is the number one reason for unintentional death all over the countries and second-leading life-threatening cause in America.
The percentage of children’s death occupies a significant portion of all death records. Research shows that some basic swimming lessons from an early age can reduce almost 88% of the children’s death rate.
AAP suggests that children should learn swimming from the age of three or four as then babies are enough prepared for adopting swimming lessons. But AAP is not against the survival swimming lesson of infants and toddlers less than four years old.
Infant Swimming Resource (ISR) is the most popular survival swimming technique. It is suitable for infants and toddlers. Adult survival swimming lesson is different from ISR lessons.
It is normal to come to your mind that if taking a swimming lesson is enough to save oneself, then what is the point of taking survival swimming lessons?
We are Swimming Lessons Katy Texas provide the best and safest swimming lessons in nearby your city and we have one of the professional trainers that will help you to boost your skill so easily as well as effectively 🙂
Difference Between Survival Swimming Lesson (ISR) and Traditional Swimming Lesson:
- In ISR, the instructor puts a baby into the water every day to get accustomed to that. Everyday instructor repeats the same motion so that babies don’t get panicked during an emergency. It is a kind of manipulation of the child’s comfort zone. With the repetitive motion, children get habituated with the techniques and able to successfully handle a similar situation without any assistance. Whereas in traditional swimming lessons, there is no pushing or manipulation. Children learn basic lessons like floating, kicking, stroke, diving, etc. spontaneously and gradually.
- The focus of ISR is to keep baby floating until the rescuer comes. And the focus of traditional swimming is to improve breathing systems, to gain water movement skills and techniques and able to swim in and under the water.
- Survival swimming lesson is always one to one whereas traditional swimming lesson usually is in a group or semi-private.
- He can make quick responses and eventually start to float. But in traditional swimming lessons, one learns to swim with proper swimsuit and floating devices. So, in times of accidental fall, he may have a shock and face difficulties in making an immediate response.
Benefits of Survival Swimming Technique
- Survival techniques give baby extra protection of drowning.
- One to one instructor so, the baby gets the full attention of the instructor
- Babies used to have fun in the water. So, they can conquer the fear of water.
- Everyday 10 minutes lesson also very time convenient.
- Make the baby familiar with different unusual circumstances.
- It also helps the baby to float fully dressed and without any floating device. An accident may occur when the baby is not with a swimming suit and a floating device. So, this lesson is beneficial to cope with the accidental fall into the water.
The controversy of Survival Swimming Technique
There is some controversy regarding the survival swim techniques:
- Though it aims to protect life, it is not entirely drowning preventing.
- Many parents may have a false sense of security for their babies. They think as their babies are capable of floating, then no need to be careful all the time.
- As the baby becomes used to the aquatic environment, they don’t fear anymore. They become brave and don’t hesitate to go into the water. This mentality increases the possibility of drowning
- It is not the actual swimming training. It just helps babies to float on his back like a floating boat on the water. So, it is not much effective in the long run. The baby may face difficulties while receiving typical swimming training at their elder age.
Now, you may have the desire to know what your baby will learn as survival swim techniques.
Survival Swimming Plan
As its focus is floating, so the course plan includes the basic swim techniques with improved breathing system. After learning survival swimming lessons, you will acquire the knowledge of:
- ROLLING SKILL: In deep water. Different types of rolling skills like back roll, side roll, front roll, log roll. These skill helps the individual to keep his head up from the water surface in case of any accidental fall.
- TRADING WATER: This skill helps a victim to hold up his nose above the water surface and can breathing even if he is in deep water.
- SWIMMING SKILL: It is not much use for a long swim, but it makes the victim capable of moving from a deeper side to a safe side.
These are the primary skills that you will learn at the survival swimming lessons. Along with these fundamental skills, your baby will learn about different entries into water and learn to float with full-body clothing.
Survival Swim Lesson Tips
We all know the importance of survival swim lessons technique and here are some tips that help the baby to adopt the lesson quickly.
- Put your baby in the same situation again and again
- Do it every day for ten minutes
- Teach them to trade in water and make them familiar with the pool’s side.
- At first, your baby may dislike it. But don’t bother. Push him a little to do it. After some weeks eventually, they can adopt the techniques.
The survival swimming technique works as a safety tool. Everyone should learn these methods as it is a matter of life. But without a traditional swimming lesson, only survival techniques can’t adequately protect your baby.
So, the suggestion is first teaching your babies survival swimming. When the baby gets older and mature enough, then teach him traditional swimming lessons. The combination of two types of experiences will be utterly reliable and practical life-saving skills.